Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fantasies of an unusual kind :)

Well, I have this habit of landing in trouble. Primarily attributed to my habits of negligence and forgetfulness, particular situations have landed me in real tense situations at times. Thanks to a trip to Puri, that happens no more – not the trouble, but the tension :). In fact, forceful or otherwise, I’m quiet amazed at my ability to see things differently and very positively these days.

Take for example the current situation I have at hand. I received my offer letter from Schlumberger in my mailbox on the 21st of May, 2008 (more than 50 days from today) which clearly instructed me to send the acceptance in 7 days. When a job pays you 36lpa, you’d expect people to respond real quickly, right? Well, I did not. I sent across my acceptance today! And two minutes after I hit the sent button, I got a call from the HR manager’s assistant of my company threatening me the job position may not be vacant now. Oops! Wasn’t that just supposed to be a formality. Guess not :P.

Well, so, here I am, seemingly in deep shit. I would have made a very bad name of myself in the firm’s HR now, may have delayed my joining (further still!) and worst of all, may have lost the position altogether! And here I am – suspended in mid air, waiting for the sun to rise tomorrow when I’ll hear from the HR manager herself the course of my destiny.

Though anxious, this time is unique. For quiet some time in life, thrill and fantasies have been missing. And though you see yourself on a footing very loose indeed, if you let your imagination loose, it sounds very exciting.

Say, for example, that I loose the job. I’m immediately back to the slab of income youths of my age find more realistic. Free from all obligations and long term planning, I can now imagine my life to be much more full of struggle and energy. I can hope to work in a stream of my choice, with people of my choice. I’d rent a small flat in Mumbai/Delhi, travel 1 hour to work and back each day, I’d be saving pennies wherever possible and relating more to how my friends are living each day. Above all, I’d be living closer to my mother for longer! The world seems so different, but it’s not a terribly bad situation after all :P.

Then, should I see this as a nightmare that hit my life and changed it forever, and burden myself with learning from the incidence and ensure it never happens again? And even curse my fate later for a lost opportunity in life! Or do I remain my real self, keep feeling it was sure a formality which was blown out of proportion, and assume God wanted to place me somewhere else??

Suggestions invited. And wishes requested too (I really don’t ‘wish’ to be kicked out of Schlumberger if one gets that impression reading this blog :D)…

Cheers to life!

9 comments:

!d!oteque said...

don't have anything to say, just to let you know that i read it :D
(please ignore this once you've read it.I'd do the opposite and feel...... )

The Junkie said...

Woah!
What leaps and bounds has your imagination traveled after the event.
For me it seems like these imaginations won't be realised as you'll be accepted by Schlumberger after all.

Reasons I think so:
1>Your joining date is supposed to be in september, and you had a prior knowledge about it.
2>Your joining destination is supposed to be Sudan, again, you had a prior knowledge about it.
3>You have neither crossed the joining date nor replied in a negative to the offer.

It just depends on how much freedom the HR has there. Normally the HR is focussed on recruiting and keeping people whom they feel suitable, and they certainly won't think you are unsuitable because of this silly error. If the e-mail was so important, they should have called you after one week shouldn't they? This was your personal e-mail ID and not the ID of some six sigma company where you are supposed to check mails every n hours.

About the feeling, yes when such an event happens (quoting my friend, when a similar incidence happened because of my silly error) "it seems like the world ends tomorrow". But when you are through the event, it just becomes something to look back and smile at.
Barely a few months into my first project I had committed a gross "security violation" and the HR was throwing words like "termination" etc at me. Now I can safely look back at the "warning letter" and laugh at it.

I wish such a "happy ending" happens and you do too

Vartika said...

so updates!?

Rajat said...

Pandeyji, your experiences with HR seem quiet relevant. I still have the job :).

Rajat said...

btw, thanks for such an elaborate comment :)...

bhagyashree said...

ASS $#@%^infinity

Rajat said...

Public place mein to gaali na diya karo? :P. Waise yeh thi kyun?

parmar said...

buddha the great!! that was the perfect timing to enter buddha BAR!!! i am hoping that tu to tallli ho kar aaya hoga ...

one more thin kitna harami hai re..dusre logo ki job ordinary huh..delhi mumbai :P

Rajat said...

@Parmaar: Kamine, maine realistic likha hai, ordinary nai! :P. Aur Bhopal mein talli hone ka scope thoda kam hota hai :D.